Advent Calendar

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

 

Oh Amanda! has been talking about Advent Calendars on her blog, which got me to thinking (always dangerous).

The Caterpillars have never been with me during the holidays, and I didn't have much notice this year - so I had to rush around to try and find an advent calendar for them.

Luckily, I found one I kind of liked, they seem to LOVE it!

B10 gets to open the even numbers and CW gets to open the odd numbers. Each little door has a tiny ornament behind it, that hangs on a hook on the Nativity Scene.

Thus far we have placed two Wise Men, Three Wise Men Gifts, One (poor) Camel who carried the Wise Men, a Single Shepherd and our first Angel. I didn't pay a ton of attention to what I put where, other than Joseph/Mary/Jesus being the final three.

It's been kind of fun to watch the Caterpillars get excited about even this little Christmas thing. Next year, I want to have a Jessie Tree, but I think we'll do this calendar again - just to build something.

Speaking of Jessie Trees, I came across a blog that had a great idea. Instead of trying to make your OWN Jessie Tree and ornaments, she had collaborated with friends and they each took an equal number of days and made enough ornaments for those days for everyone.

For example - there are 25 days, so if 5 people participate - they would each make 5 ornaments for 5 different days. Then everyone swaps.

I would love to do this in preparation for next year - so if you are interested in a Jessie Tree Ornament pool, leave a comment. You don't need to live nearby, we can easily ship back and forth (AFTER the holidays).

~Lone Butterfly )i(

3 comments:

Meredith said...

I'd definitely be interested in doing this with you! :)

Life throws you surprises! said...

I like your advent calendar, I have had paper ones in the past. I am hoping to get one this year when all the Christmas stuff goes on sale.

BooSheep said...

ooo... I REALLY like your calendar. Where did you get it? I have been wanting something like that for Little Sheep. He ended up getting a Christmas book at his party that has # days to open in the back, so that is what we are doing this year. I like the little boxes though for when he is older. Neat!