Work - And It's Issues -

Friday, October 24, 2008

 

Due to the nature of the Internet, this is going to be a rather vague post.

Basically, last Tuesday, the CEO of the non-profit where I work made an announcement. She did this at 4 p.m. after 11 people were laid off (on Tuesday alone). So the rest of us sat in the auditorium and quietly freaked out about what she was going to say.

Everyone was being given a 10% pay cut, one unpaid day every two weeks, we took a cut in our retirement benefits (plus the new percentage was based on our "new" rate of pay), they are re-evaluating our health benefits (and we'll likely have to pay more), and all raises/promotions/cost of living increases have been suspended for (at the very least) one year.

Um, it was already eating up a chunk of my paycheck to pay for childcare, and putting Baby Larva in childcare would have effectively eaten up quite a bit more. Now - when combined with gas and work lunches - I would almost be PAYING to go to work, as the total deduction comes to almost 20%.

Needless to say, Hubby and I sat down and crunched numbers for a few hours on Tuesday evening and I turned in my two week notice on Wednesday. There are a lot of angry people at my work, and I have become an easy scapegoat - because I was the one lucky enough to get free. No one has spoken to me since Wednesday (and I took Friday/Saturday off). We ALL envy Edelweiss for getting out before the storm hit.

I have three more events before I'm done.



Here I am at my Wednesday night event - drinking my ginger ale and praying the night goes by quickly.

I can't say I'm overly upset about having to quit. It was the right financial move for my family. But, regardless of the people, I enjoyed my job very much and I'm sad that this wasn't as much my choice as a necessity for out budget.

At least I know the Caterpillars are going to be MUCH happier!

~Lone Butterfly )i(

4 comments:

life, in recipes said...

I know it's empty and meaningless coming from me, but I'm super-excited and happy for you. You did what was best for your family, and you should be proud of that.

Who cares about the people at work? You know how I feel about people, anyway....

Life throws you surprises! said...

I feel your pain the same thing happened to me when I got out of work situation. Just kep focused on how happy your boys are going to be in a few days!

Wish You Were Here said...

I wish that this decision didn't have to be so stressful for you guys right now but I'm really happy that you're going to be able to stay home with the boys and that your new little daughter will have her Mommy home with her from the beginning. Things have a way of working out...and I know you are really excited about all the possibilities. Now, give my son a hug and tell him to RELAX this is going to be a good thing.

Keri said...

I hope it's a blessing in disguise for you like it was for me. I'm happier than I've ever been in my life and certainly than I've ever been at any "job". Being home with your kids full time is the most rewarding (and stressful...I won't lie hehe) experience!!! May God bless you in ways you never imagined! :)