Camping - Day Two

Sunday, October 26, 2008


(Look! A picture of me! Proof I also went camping! Thanks, Queen, for capturing this!)

Do all Caterpillars wake up at 6:45 a.m. and ask to go down to the dock to watch the sun rise? I mean, they are pretty good about getting up early when they have to - but to voluntarily ask for an adult to walk down with them to see the sun come up...

Before I let them out of the tent, I put their jeans in their sleeping bags to get warm so they could change. Hubby and King built a fire, and I managed to start a pot of water on the stove for hot morning drinks. It got down to the 40's overnight, but wasn't too awful in the morning.

The pre-dawn sky was beautiful, I love this part of camping.

The theme of the weekend was books, so I had made green eggs to go with the snasauge (ie: Ham) for our family. I reheated boiled peanuts for my protein-filled meal, to go along with my cups of hot coffee/chocolate.

There were three stations in the morning, and three groups of scouts/siblings again. One station was a scavenger hunt, where each team had to find something that began with every letter of the alphabet. The second was capture the flag.

I assisted with the third station - funnel cake making. My job was to add the toppings (who knew chocolate syrup would be so delicious???) for the scouts.

CW had a blast making his, until the other leader melted his plate.

B-10 enjoyed eating his also.

After that, all the scouts went around picking up trash, while the parents began loading up. The hope was to be out of the campground by noon, however, Hubby and King ended up having to help lots of other families pack out (and we didn't park at our campsites - so there had to be LOTS of traffic control with scouts running around).

We eventually got out a little before 1:00 p.m., which wasn't to shabby, but the Caterpillars (and myself) were asleep before we got to the interstate. There was an accident on the interstate, which held us up for about 20 minutes, and we decided to pull off right after we broke through the traffic and grab lunch at 2:00 p.m.

I called Mum, who met us at the house, so two adults could unload the car and sweep the tent and tarp clean - while one of us (that would be me) bathed two dirty, stinky, smelly, off-color caterpillars.

We didn't have much of a rest, because I took the Caterpillars back to Cookie's so I could work on grading papers and preparing Speech CDs for her. Hubby stayed home to rest and study for his CPA exam. It was a long day (the Caterpillars finally fell into bed around 11:30 at night), but very productive.

(Especially for Eli, who managed to pull out a win in the fourth quarter - that long snap turned the tide of the game, and taught me something!)

~Lone Butterfly )i(


BooSheep said...

That is a great picture of all 4 of you! (and funnel cakes! YUM!)

Life throws you surprises! said...

I don't have any experience with boy scouts as you can imagine but your group looks like the best I have ever seen. What a fun way to spend the weekend!