FRINGE

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

 


So last night I watched one of the shows I've been anticipating since I heard J.J. Abrams was rolling out another hour-long weekly adventure for the masses. Those who have known me for quite a while can attest to ALIAS being my favorite show of all time. In it's 5 year run, I never missed an episode (including the week I was on a Disney Cruise Ship). I have also enjoyed LOST and likely would have enjoyed Felicity, had it involved some sort of explosion or guns.

That being said - I liked Fringe more than ALIAS. Here is the main reason why:

Things I loved:

1) The Graphics: awesome, awesome, awesome... I am a huge critic of things like credits and intro-commercial graphics and I was super pleased with Fringe. Very simple credits (made me think of LOST), but when they went from location to location the name would appear in big letters. What I thought was cool was even when the camera followed the actors, it was like the letters never disappeared. Very nifty.

2) Joshua Jackson. I only glanced at Dawson's Creek when it was on (see reasons for non-watching of Felicity), but have always been a huge fan of his Pacey (and the movie The Skulls) and I thought his portrayal of Peter Bishop is amazing. This is before we even discuss his eyes.


3) Fringe Science in general. It's fascinating stuff! The geek in me enjoyed the plot lines and the explanations that were just logical enough to make sense - if you squinted.

I won't go into any more of the show, in order not to spoil the plot. I've only heard one person say they hated it - this person has never watched an episode of LOST or ALIAS, so I'm not sure they understood who (or what) J.J. Abrams is. Suffice to say, if those shows aren't your cup of tea, this won't be also.

But if you're one of the people who enjoys the water cooler discussions about the Dharma Initiative or SD-6, then make sure you watch on Sunday - so we can meet back here to talk about the revolving leaf at Massive Dynamics on Monday morning!

You can watch the pilot episode here, or catch it on your local FOX channel Sunday Night (the pilot will also include the first 4 minutes of episode 2).

~Lone Butterfly )i(

3 comments:

Meredith said...

So you liked it? Will you email me a little more what it's about? I LOVED Pacey.. and I did watch a few Alias shows...

Ashley said...

I watched it last night. Definitely something to keep up with. Fortunately it looks like it'll be on a night I can actually BE HOME to watch it. Yipee! Yes, I watched Alias, but not on a regular basis.. I also watched Dawson's Creek.

BooSheep said...

watched it, loved it...Hubby wasn't to sure in the beginning (we missed the 1st 30 min., but I think he will catch on soon too.) We are not really big on "non realistic" things, but I kept telling him Joshua Jackson doesn't believe it either, that is why it is so interesting! The preview for next week freaked me out a little though (probably being pregnant...) so I might have to miss the first 30 min. again!! :)