Reading Out Loud

Monday, March 24, 2008

 

One of the standard things I see in most homeschooling philosophies is that parents should read aloud to their children.

Some preach the unreasonable (at least in my home) timeline of 2-3 hours of reading per day. Others simply advise parents to choose good, solid books that their children will enjoy hearing. Then there are still others who claim that parents should only read Scripture, and only allow their children to read Scripture.

I love reading - it's one of my favorite pastimes. B10 has been an independent reader for almost a year, but we still enjoy reading books together. One of our favorite times was when we read The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe before the movie came out.

My intention was to do the same for The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian, but I cannot find my complete Chronicles collection anywhere! I'm sure it's just lost in the midst of boxes, so I'm not overly concerned. Whilst searching for the book, I came across a stack of children's books from the 40's and 50's.

They are part of a series on Young American Heroes. Focusing on the childhood of Famous Americans. I began the book about Paul Revere and finished it just last night.

It's not outstanding writing, by any means. It's written for 8-10 years old children to be able to read by themselves. However, I enjoyed having both CW and B10 curled up beside me on the sofa, and Hubby sat most nights with our cat on his lap in the side chair. Late yesterday night, as I read the final chapter (which ends with Longfellow's famous poem), I choked up a bit.

Especially when B10 announced that he would always be a Patriot - and he was glad we voted for our Presidents, and didn't serve Kings.

The books aren't easy to find, but they aren't overly difficult either. My Daddy (Granddaddy, JR) has about 10-15 of them in paperback, (reprints). The orange hardback covers are first editions. The illustrations are beautiful to me, simple silhouette drawings that encourage the use of imagination.

I think we will read Jane Adams: Little Lame Girl next, beginning tonight.

What books do you read with your children?

~Lone Butterfly )i(

2 comments:

BooSheep said...

We read LOTS to Little Sheep during the day...mostly when he brings you a book and sits in your lap, but EVERY night we read: "Little Boy Jesus", "Goodnight Baby" and "The Bedtime Book.  We rotate them occasionally, but these are our current night-night books.  He even knows which ones to grab before bedtime!  I agree, reading is an essential.  I know the boys love doing it as a family activity.

Meredith said...

Hello old friend! I found you through boosheep! It's great to see you and the boys doing so well (and that you're married... a belated congratulations!!!)