Day Seven - Switching Up the Caterpillars

Monday, April 27, 2009

 

Today Aunt CC and I traded children - I wanted to take B10 to the Holocaust Museum and CW simply isn't old enough to handle that information. She, though, wanted Princess Flower to go with us.

CW woke up early and headed out with Aunt CC and the younger Garden Girls to therapy. I took B10, Princess Flower and GO with me into Washington. B10 insisted on finishing his book, The Lightening Thief, on the train (he can't wait to get home and begin Book Two: Sea of Monsters).
Because of the nature of the museum, I didn't take many pictures inside the actual building. Overall, however, it worked out very well.

We had timed tickets for 11:45 a.m. and arrived at 11 a.m. This enabled us to spend the first thirty minutes in the children's exhibit ("Daniel's Story"), where B10 and Princess Flower could write a letter to Daniel after going through his home, the ghetto where he lived and the concentration camp where he was taken.


Then we went upstairs for the main exhibit. I felt like both of them understood exactly what I had expected they would.

I was especially moved when we got to the end and there is a listing of the "Righteous Among the Nations" - Gentiles who have been remembered in Israel as people who saved Jews (those of you who have seen Schindler's List should be familiar with this). B10 looked at the wall, then looked at me and said in his most serious voice: "There aren't enough names there - why didn't more people stand up to save them?"

I wish I could have answered his question, but the fact that he asked it proves that I'm accomplishing what I set out to show him. God created us all equal and it's an absolute truth that we must stand against evil such as genocide.

We ate lunch at Johnny Rocket's again (simply because I knew where it was - and we had all day train passes to get there), before heading back home to do schoolwork.



They finished their respective subjects quickly and then headed outside to play down at the creek. I think the frogs, salamanders and snakes at Quantico have had more face time with B10 than anyone else. I had to hike almost an eighth of a mile back down a creek to get him for dinner.
I wonder, sometimes, if they'll have this much trouble getting him to eat when he's in his 20's and somewhere in the jungle of South America...

~Lone Butterfly )i(

2 comments:

Life throws you surprises! said...

I love the first picture...it looks like a mini family picture.

We had such a wonderful time with you visiting. The house was too quiet today! It rained all day too.

Meredith said...

WOW! I'm so impressed with B10's comment. I totally agree with him!