Resolutions

Friday, February 1, 2008

 

I wanted to begin January with a resolution – and then as the days wore on, found myself changing that resolution constantly.

At the same time, I felt God challenging me through two of my close friends to evaluate a habit I have. One that is destructive to my own well-being.

I have an obsession with ignorant people. When I meet an ignorant person, they drive me crazy. I find myself constantly trying to correct them, and convince them to be reasonable. If they don’t, or if they simply continue in their overwhelming ignorance, it can affect my attitude.

Mind you, I am not talking about the “stupid” people in the world. Those who just aren’t smart, but they have common sense and a good work ethic. God didn’t bless everyone with brains, and He sure didn’t give me athletic ability or the patience to teach toddlers.

I’m talking about those who should know better, but refuse to research the facts before opening their mouths and spouting off. I have people close to me who fall into this category, and my very closest friends will tell you that it drives me batty. I can spend hours composing emails, refuting the ignorant statements with actual fact, and then I end up deleting the document, because it’s caustic and, frankly, not very kind.

It’s always been hard for me to temper truth with kindness. I’m much more of a straight-forward, lay it all out there kind of girl, I am not going to coddle you into feeling good about your mistakes. If you are spouting falsehoods, especially when you’re claiming what you believe comes from “Scripture”, it makes my hair stands on end.

As a woman who has been a Christian for 24 years, and actually has a degree (and almost a Masters) in Religion, it’s hard for me to deal with the ignorant who “share what God has laid on their hearts.” Especially when it’s contrary to what God said in Scripture. At times, I’ve even been directly lectured to, and it takes every ounce of self-control not to whip out the Bible and correct them.

Now, I’m not perfect. Goodness knows I’ve made (and will continue to make) mistakes. But to allow people, people close to me, to spread lies and glorified falsehoods – I can literally make myself sick thinking about it.

I have come to the realization that what I need to do is ignore them when possible. This is hard for me, because on the “obsessive level” I drive myself to read or listen to what they are saying. It’s unhealthy, though. I have to decide what truly affects me and my family, and what can be forgotten.

Most of these people I can deal with on an individual basis. Some will never be allowed to care for my children, or even be near them – but I can show up at a function and handle being polite for an hour or so. On the other side, I’m not sure God isn’t preparing me to deal with inaccuracies on a more personal level, and trying to teach me the way to soften my words and share His truths.

Either way, this is my resolution as I begin February: to let go of my obsessive frustration and admit that only God can bring ignorant people to His light.

~Lone Butterfly )i(

0 comments: