If This Is the Only Post of Mine You Ever Read -

Monday, February 18, 2008

 

I downgraded my Netflix membership today.

From 5 movies a month to 2 movies a month.

I wish I could say that I had made enough of a sacrifice.

By doing so, this allows me to sponsor two boys through Compassion. My intention was to sponsor one. A little boy that would be around B-10 and CW's age. Somewhere between 6 and 8.

We did, I will withhold his name for now, until we receive our first packet and I can share a suitable nickname with you. He's from Brazil, though, which was exciting for my boys who are already talking about when we can go visit him.

The most amazing moment for me was when we were looking at the children and I was reading the profiles. I came upon the part of our Compassion Child's "likes" and both B-10 and CW began with: "OH! I like that, too!"

They saw nothing but the similarites between themselves and this 8 year old boy living in poverty in Brazil.

How often do we see people in need and think of all the ways that we are different than they are. How much more we must deserve what we have, and how if they could just work harder or have a better attitude then God would help them, also.

We are ignorant and full of disgusting pride.

I am humbled to see that somehow my children know the truth. We are all the same in God's eyes. And He cherishes us equally.

After adopting our Brazilian boy - who had been on the website over 6 months waiting for a sponsor (the tiny red heart on their pictures indicate this), I began looking at the country where Boomama and Shannon from Rocks visited - Uganda.

I cannot tell you why I felt it neccessary to search for older boys, but I knew as soon as I saw the 19 year old's face, the only male 19 year old on the Uganda site, that he was meant to be ours. The little red heart sat on his picture and I wondered just how long past 6 months he had been there. How long he has been waiting in his country for a sponsor, knowing that many people will choose the cute little ones - the adorable four and five year olds that also need sponsors.

He'll only be ours for a few years. I know that, and yet I know that it's never past the point where God can impact a life.

I cried today. Tears for the children I could not sponsor and tears for the two boys that are now a part of my family, an addition to my prayers. Tears that no matter what I could never make a difference.

Then I had the greatest feeling in the world - because I logged back into Compassion and did the same search that I did before. And you know what? My boys didn't show up. Their pictures are gone. Two boys who have been waiting, and sitting on that site, for over 6 months are gone.

Because I can make a difference, and by God's grace I will. Will you?

~Lone Butterfly )i(

2 comments:

tootie said...

Very moving! I'm hoping to sponsor a child, too. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Prairie Rose said...

Thanks for sharing your story with us... like you, I intended to sponsor one new child and there's a teen in Uganda that keeps making me check on him too... trying to think of something to give up so I can take him too; with all the excess I must have, surely there is something. Thanks.